HAPPY EARTH DAY EVERYONE!!! I know many of us don’t take this holiday seriously; and I have to admit I used to be one of those people. However, since starting a blog I have been very outspoken about the social responsibility influencers have, and I strongly believe part of that responsibility has to do with being more environmentally sustainable. Living in NYC it can be very hard to live an environmentally sustainable life, especially since New Yorkers are constantly on the go go go. This is why I decided to put together a list of things that I will make a strong effort to do from this day forward.
1. Don’t use to-go cups!!! - This is my biggest downfall. I am constantly getting Starbucks ice-tea’s and throwing away the cups the moment I finish the drink.
2. Use a re-usable grocery shopping bag. – Ahhh I am so embarrassed, but in my apartment the Trader Joe’s shopping bags start to make their own little gang.
3. ALWAYS RECYCLE – When it comes to clothes I am really good at selling my old clothes, and buying new ones from second hand stores etc, but when it comes to plastic bottles I have to be more consciously aware of throwing them out in the correct bin on the streets.
4. Try to shop at the local farmer’s markets rather than buying packaged goods at the store.
5. My favorite thing about NYC is having the ability to walk everywhere. I'm going to try and leave just a few minutes early to walk to school/meetings/etc instead of taking a cab.
Would love to hear any ideas or tips you guys have to living a more environmentally sustainable life in a large city!